Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Japanese Food by Xandra

By: Xandra Puyat . December 14, 2015

~~~
JAPANESE FOOD = MY FIRST LOVE

~~~
Throughout my whole childhood, I practically loved everything Japanese. It all started out with my anime addiction. Then my brother introduced me to sushi. Gosh that was delicious! Growing up, I grew a love for cooking. It was actually in the family. Everyone loved food. My favorite Japanese dishes to cook would be:

~~~
SAKE SUSHI

I swear. I totally love salmon. If I could just eat salmon everyday, I definitely would. It's packed with Omega 3 and is super healthy. I love how you can just put it on top of a little portion of rice (with a little wasabi) and it could get you really full. Just be sure to have a little soy sauce with you.

~~~ 
SUKIYAKI
Summer 2012
My aunt taught me her recipe of the very famous Japanese dish, Sukiyaki. MUST HAVE for this dish would be mirin (sweet rice wine) and soy sauce. For the soup, you would need sugar, soy sauce, mirin and water. First you would saute the more solid vegetables like the onions and carrots then later on, add in the soup then add the rest of the stuff. My tita told me this was a traditional way of making it and it would keep the color of the dish keeping it very authentic.

After the dish was done, I tried it out and to my surprise, it was VERY delicious. I couldn't believe I made it. I think this is one of the reasons I continued to cook out of love.

~~~
TAMAGO SUSHI
Egg. When I was little, it was about one the only things I ate. I was a really picky eater. At first, I hesitated to try this out because of the different look it had. When I first tried, I found it very delicious and to my surprise, it was no different from the egg I would usually eat. It's really difficult to make this sushi because rolling the egg isn't easy. Other than that, everything else is just cool.

~~~
CALIFORNIA MAKI

My brother was an HRIM student at the College of Saint Benilde. In school, he would learn many recipes and different cuisines. One day, he decided to teach me how to make California Maki. The stuff he would put inside the rolls were mangoes, cucumbers, eggs, kani sticks, seaweeds, and rice. It was difficult at first to learn how to roll it. Later on, I got a grip of it. I must say, I'm pretty good at it. HEHE.

~~~
TOFU OKONOMIYAKI

Okonomiyaki is somewhat a pancake. I modified this dish and turned it into my own recipe. It was inspired by a dish I used to love a lot when I was a second grader. It was Tofu Spoons from the restaurant, Sumo Sam. I made the Okonomiyaki into bite sizes and placed them into spoons with a special sauce topped with Japanese mayo and pork floss.

~~~
KANI SUSHI

This dish brings me back ages. This is the very first Japanese dish I have ever eaten my whole life. My brother introduced this dish to me and from that point on, I definitely adored it. I'd bring it to school, eat it at home, order it outside, I just loved it. It was basically rice with crab sticks in it.

I loved it so much I even tried making it. I was a little kid back then and my work was pretty bad. When I got older and my knowledge of cooking increased, my rendition of this dish got better.

~~~
I love Japanese dishes, they are so fun to cook and easy to make. Its great to be able to try out different cuisines as I venture out in cooking.

DISCLAIMER: All of the images in this article are taken by me and are my own cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment